Welcome to the ultimate guide on how to start a travel blog in 2023! If you want to share your globetrotting escapades with the world, then starting a travel blog is an adventure and an inspiration.
In this comprehensive guide, I will walk you through the step-by-step process of creating your own travel blog and cover everything you need to know to get started. This post provides a detailed walkthrough on setting up a WordPress blog, one of the most popular and user-friendly blogging platforms available. You'll learn how to choose a domain name, select a hosting provider, and customize your blog's design to reflect your personal style and brand.
If you're ready to embark on an exciting journey of travel adventure, community engagement, and financial rewards, let's dive into the comprehensive guide on how to start a travel blog in 2023. Get ready to unleash your travelling adventures and share them with the world!
What is a Travel Blog?
A travel blog is a type of blog that primarily focuses on the topic of travel. It typically features articles, photos, videos, and other content related to different travel destinations, experiences, tips, and recommendations.
20 Free (and Not so Free) WordPress Plugins
Bloggers Need to Know About
Travel bloggers use their blogs to share their personal travel experiences, insights, and perspectives with their readers, as well as to provide useful information and resources that can help people plan their own trips. Some travel bloggers also use their blogs as a platform to promote travel-related products and services, collaborate with other travel brands and bloggers, and generate income through advertising, affiliate marketing, and other monetization strategies.
Should Your Start A Travel Blog Today?
The travel blogging industry is growing rapidly, and for good reason. People all around the world love to travel, and they're always looking for inspiration, tips, and advice on where to go and what to do. By starting a travel blog, you can share your experiences, connect with other travelers, and even make money.
Travel blogging has exploded in popularity in recent years, thanks in part to the rise of social media and the availability of affordable travel options. People all around the world are now able to explore new places, experience different cultures, and connect with others who share their passion for travel.
But travel blogging isn't just about sharing pretty pictures and inspiring stories. It's also a way to provide valuable information and resources to other travelers. Whether you're writing about budget travel, family travel, adventure travel, or any other type of travel, you can help people plan their trips, avoid common mistakes, and have unforgettable experiences.
In addition to providing value to others, travel blogging can also be a way to create a location-independent lifestyle.
Many successful travel bloggers are able to earn a full-time income from their blogs, allowing them to travel the world and work from anywhere with an internet connection.
Blogging Guide: How to Start Your Travel Blog in 6 Steps
Step 1 - Travel
The first and most important step to becoming a travel blogger is to travel to different destinations. The more you travel, the more content you will have to write about.
Step 2 - Choose Your Niche
The first step to creating a successful travel blog is finding your niche. Travel blogging is a very competitive field. Your niche is the specific area of travel blogging that you're passionate about and that sets you apart from other bloggers. It's the unique perspective or angle that you bring to the table that makes your blog stand out.
Choosing a niche can help you stand out from the crowd. You can focus on luxury travel, budget travel, adventure travel, food and drink, cultural experiences, or anything else that you are passionate about.
This could be a specific type of travel (e.g. adventure travel, luxury travel, family travel), a specific destination (e.g. Southeast Asia, Europe, South America), or a specific angle (e.g. travel with pets, solo female travel, digital nomad travel).
Here are 5 types of travel blogs you can start:
- Luxury travel
- Budget travel:
- Adventure travel
- Cultural experiences
- Family travel:
Get the Travel Blogger Content Planner for more ideas. Travel bloggers often mix and match these types of travel blogs to create a unique and engaging blog that reflects their personal style and interests.
Step 3 - Pick a Domain Name
Your domain name is the web address of your blog (e.g. www.yourtravelblog.com). Try to choose a name that is memorable, easy to spell, related to your niche and reflects the content and tone of your blog.
Get your domain name from Namecheap – only $5.98/year
Don’t forget to create a logo using Canva for your blog that is eye-catching and unique.
BONUS TIP: Set up your social media accounts. Social media is a powerful tool for promoting your blog and connecting with your audience. Set up social media accounts on platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and use them to promote your blog and engage with your followers.
Step 4 - Choose a Hosting Service
Your hosting provider is the company that stores your blog's files and makes them available on the internet. There are many hosting providers to choose from, but some popular options include Bluehost, SiteGround, and HostGator.
I recommend Bluehost. Get your web hosting from Bluehost – only $2.95/mo
Follow these steps to setup your blog on Bluehost.
Select your plan. I recommend that beginning bloggers get the basic plan. Click “Select” to choose your plan.
Type in your domain name in the left box and then click “next” to start the registration process.
If you already own a domain name and want to use it for your blog, type your existing domain in the right box and then click “next”. Only use the right box if you have previously paid to register a domain!
Create your account
You will also need to choose your hosting package and options. Every BlueHost account plan has everything you need to get your blog up and running in minutes, including a free custom domain name, easy WordPress installation, web hosting, and custom email addresses
Fill out your billing details on the registration page.
Step 5 - Set up Your Travel Blog Website
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform in the world, and it's free to use. Many hosting providers offer one-click WordPress installation, making it easy to get started.
Step 6 - Choose Your Travel Blog Theme
Your blog's theme determines its design and layout. Your blog design is the first thing that visitors will see, so it's important to create a design that is visually appealing and reflects your brand. Choose a color scheme, font, and layout that aligns with your niche and the tone of your blog.
There are many free and paid themes available, so choose one that fits your niche and personal style. You can choose from a free theme or template or purchase a premium one for around $50 to $100.
Write Inspiring and Engaging Travel Blog Content
Once you've set up your blog, it's time to start creating content. Your content should be engaging, informative, and entertaining.
4 Types of Travel Blog Content
1. Travel Stories and Experiences use personal anecdotes and memorable moments to connect with your audience.
2. Destination Guides and Travel Tips - Provide valuable information and practical advice and interject with personal experiences to enhance guides.
3. Travel Photography and Visual Content - Showcase stunning images and visual storytelling also write tips for enhancing photography skills.
4. Travel Vlogs and Video Content - Engage with audiences through video format and share behind-the-scenes for immersive experiences.
A key aspect of engaging readers and building trust within the travel community is to provide valuable and actionable information.
When travelers search about destinations, itineraries, or travel tips, they turn to travel blogs for first-hand insights and experience.
As a travel blogger, you have the opportunity to become a valuable resource by offering practical and relevant information that empowers your audience to plan and enjoy their own trips.
Travel Blog Post Ideas
- Cheap travel tips
- Reviewing hotels and restaurants
- Travel episodes
- Travel bucket list
- Travel stories
- Upcoming trips
- Best camera tor travel bloggers/vloggers
Get serious about blogging and start increasing traffic, leads and sales with your blog.
Increase Traffic to Your Travel Blog with SEO
Increasing traffic to your travel blog through Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a strategic and effective way to attract a wider audience and boost your blog's visibility in search engine results.
SEO involves optimizing your content, website structure, and online presence to rank higher in search engines like Google.
1. Conduct thorough keyword research to identify relevant and high-traffic search terms related to travel topics and destinations.
2. Incorporate these keywords naturally into your blog posts, titles, meta descriptions, and image alt text to signal their relevance to search engines.
3. Create high-quality, informative, and engaging content that addresses the needs and interests of your target audience.
4. Build high-quality backlinks from reputable travel websites
5 Optimize your website's loading speed, mobile-friendliness, and navigation to improve user experience and search engine rankings.
Your travel blog can attract more organic traffic and become a go-to resource for travelers worldwide when you optimize your travel blog for search engines.
Use Social Media to Promote Your Travel Blog
Social media is a great way to promote your travel blog and attract new readers.
1. Share Travel Stories and Experiences: Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter offer travel bloggers the perfect space to share their travel stories, experiences, and adventures in real-time. Through captivating photos, engaging captions, and even short videos, travel bloggers can transport their followers to stunning destinations and provide a glimpse into the wonders of the world. By regularly updating your social media profiles with fresh and exciting content, you can keep your audience engaged and eager to follow your journey.
2. Build a Community and Engage with Followers: Social media is an excellent tool for travel bloggers to connect with your audience and build a loyal community of followers. By responding to comments, messages, and questions from your audience, you can foster meaningful relationships and encourage two-way communication.
Engage with followers to better understand your audience's preferences, interests, and travel aspirations, enabling your to create content that resonates with your followers and keeps them coming back for more.
3. Promote Blog Content: Social media platforms serve as valuable marketing channels for travel bloggers to promote your blog posts, travel vlogs, and other content. By sharing links to your latest articles or video content, you can drive traffic to your blogs, increase readership, and attract new followers.
4. Live Stream Videos: Don't hestitate to share in real-time. Live streaming has become increasingly popular among travel bloggers. Live videos allow real-time interaction with viewers, who can ask questions, leave comments, and participate in the journey as it unfolds. This real-time engagement creates a sense of community and a more personal connection between the you and your audience.
5. Opportunity for Collaboration: Social media provides opportunities for collaboration with other travel bloggers, brands, and tourism boards. By forming partnerships and cross-promoting content, you can expand your reach and tap into new audiences, and grow a mutually beneficial relationship with fellow content creators and industry players.
6. Travel Blog Hashtags: Also use hashtags to reach a wider audience, and engage with your followers by responding to comments and messages.
Add Video to Your Travel Blog and Attract More Visitors and Subscribers
The power of video in travel blogging lies in its ability to captivate and immerse audiences in the travel experience like no other medium can. Travel videos have a unique way of transporting viewers to distant lands, allowing them to see and feel the destinations through the eyes of the travel blogger.
Don't wait to add video to your travel blog:
1. Showcase authenticity and real experiences: Video enables you to showcase authentic and unfiltered experiences. Viewers appreciate genuine and candid moments captured on camera, providing a more intimate and honest portrayal of the travel journey. This authenticity builds trust and rapport with your audience, leading to a more engaged and loyal following.
2. Display engaging and dynamic content: Videos are inherently engaging and dynamic, making them ideal for capturing attention in today's fast-paced digital world. Travel blogs/vlogs can combine breathtaking visuals, storytelling, music, and narration to create a captivating and immersive experience that keeps viewers hooked from start to finish.
3. Visual appeal and shareability: Well-produced travel videos are visually appealing and shareable, making them more likely to be shared across social media platforms and reach a wider audience. The viral potential of video can significantly boost the exposure of a travel blog and attract new viewers.
4. Inspirational and aspirational content: Travel videos have the power to inspire and ignite wanderlust in viewers. Seeing incredible landscapes, adventures, and cultural encounters can motivate viewers to plan their own travels and seek similar experiences. This is a great opportunity to promote your affiliate links or your products and services.
Video content complements other forms of content in your travel blog. While written articles and photographs are valuable, videos add an extra layer of depth and engagement. You can use videos to provide more context, showcase unique experiences, and offer practical tips that are better conveyed visually.
5 Types of Videos for Travel Blogging
As a travel blogger, the possibilities of showcasing your adventures through video content are endless.
Each type of video offers a unique way to connect with your audience, sharing your travel experiences, and inspiring them to embark on their own journeys.
- Travel vlogs: Personalized travel experiences that take viewers on a personal journey
- Destination guides: Providing valuable information
- How-to and tutorial videos: Sharing travel tips and advice
- Time-lapse and drone footage: Showcasing stunning visuals
- Product and service reviews: Partnering with brands
Whether you're a seasoned blogger or just starting, understanding these different video formats will help you craft captivating and inspiring content that resonates with your audience and showcases the beauty of the world through your lens.
3 Tips to Create Spectacular Video for Your Travel Blog
1. Storytelling and planning: Plan your travel vlog content in advance, focusing on storytelling and capturing compelling visuals that engage your audience.
2. Personality and authenticity: Be yourself in front of the camera and showcase your unique personality. Authenticity is key to building a loyal following.
3. Research and preparation: Research your travel destinations thoroughly to have a better understanding of the places you'll be vlogging about.
3 Ways to Promote Your Travel Vlog
1. Branding and channel design: Create a visually appealing channel design that aligns with your travel vlog's theme and brand.
2. Consistent upload schedule: Commit to a consistent upload schedule for your travel vlog to keep your audience engaged and coming back for more.
3. Promote your vlogs: Use social media and collaborate with other vloggers to increase the visibility of your travel vlog.
Travel Vlog/Blog Essential Equipment
A travel blogger (travel vlogger) that wants to make video the main content requires the right set of tools and equipment to capture the essence of your adventures and create captivating content.
As a travel blogger, your camera gear becomes an extension of your eyes, enabling you to share the beauty of the world with your audience.
Whether you're a seasoned videographer seeking to upgrade your gear or a beginner taking your first steps into the world of video content creation, starting with the essential video equipment will empower you to bring your travel vlogs to life and immerse viewers in the wonders of your travel.
To start a travel vlog, you'll need the following essential items and preparations:
1. Camera: Invest in a good-quality camera that can shoot high-definition videos. Popular options include DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, or high-end smartphones with excellent video capabilities.
2. Tripod: A sturdy and portable tripod will help you stabilize your camera and capture smooth footage while vlogging on the go.
3. Microphone: Clear audio is essential for a compelling travel vlog. Consider using an external microphone to improve sound quality and reduce background noise.
4. Memory cards: Ensure you have sufficient memory cards to store all your video footage and avoid running out of space during your travels.
5. Batteries and charger: Carry extra batteries and a charger to keep your camera powered up and ready to capture all the exciting moments.
6. Backpack or camera bag: Invest in a durable and well-padded backpack or camera bag to safely carry and protect your camera gear while traveling.
7. Video editing software: Choose video editing software that suits your skill level and budget. Programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or iMovie are popular choices.
8. Laptop or computer: You'll need a capable laptop or computer to edit and render your travel vlogs efficiently.
9. Fast and reliable internet access: Make sure you have access to reliable internet to upload your vlogs and engage with your audience while on the road.
10. Portable hard drive: Backup your video footage regularly to a portable hard drive to prevent data loss.
11. Music and sound effects: Find royalty-free music and sound effects to enhance the production value of your travel vlogs.
Remember that starting a travel vlog requires passion, dedication, and a willingness to adapt to different situations while on the road. With the right equipment and preparation, you can capture and share your adventures.
Travel vloggers have the opportunity to create content that not only entertains but also immerses viewers in the travel journey, providing a more interactive and enjoyable experience.
Monetize Your Blog
If you want to make money from your travel blog, you can monetize it in several ways. You can sell advertising space, write sponsored posts, or become an affiliate marketer.
How Do You Monetize a Travel Blog
1. Advertising: You can sell advertising space on your blog to companies that are relevant to your niche. This can include display ads, sponsored posts, and affiliate marketing.
2. Sponsored posts: Sponsored posts are blog posts that are paid for by a company or brand. You can write a post about a product, service, or destination and include a link to the company's website. Make sure to disclose that the post is sponsored.
3. Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is when you promote a product or service and earn a commission on any sales that result from your promotion. You can include affiliate links in your blog posts and earn a commission when someone makes a purchase through your link.
Learn how these travel bloggers maintained their income during a global pandemic:
- How a travel blogger kept a travel blog afloat during a global pandemic
- How a travel blogger pivoted during the pandemic to rebuild a 7-figure business
To keep your blog fresh and interesting, keep traveling to new destinations. Continuously exploring and sharing your experiences will keep your readers engaged and coming back for more.
Travel Bloggers Do's
- Travel essentials: Don't forget your travel essentials such as passport, visas, travel insurance, and any necessary permits for filming in specific locations.
- Respect local laws and culture: Be aware of and respectful of local laws and cultural sensitivities while filming in different countries.
Creating a successful travel blog takes time, effort, and dedication, but with the right tools and strategies, anyone can do it. Whether you're just starting out or looking to take your blog to the next level, this workbook will guide you through the process of finding your niche, developing your content, and creating a successful travel blog that showcases your unique perspective and voice.
This workbook is for anyone who is interested in starting a travel blog or for those who already have a travel blog and want to improve it. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced blogger, this workbook will provide you with the tools and resources you need to succeed in the competitive world of travel blogging.
This Travel Blog Planner is for:
- Adventure blogger
- Backpacker blogger
- Digital nomad
- Cultural explorer
- Expat blogger
- Travel blogger
- Travel influencer
- Travel writer
- Location independent blogger
Travel Blog Planner