What I learned in the last 12 months about search engine optimization and the benefits of monthly SEO.
Incorporate SEO (Search Engine Optimization) by optimizing your content to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Keyword research and SEO integration are essential components of any successful content marketing strategy.
In addition to keyword research, analytics is a game changer when you are trying to rank.
The past year I have worked diligently on making my website rank in SERP.
Here are the SEO best practices that I learned.
1. Incorporate SEO Into Your Monthly Content Plan
SEO is ongoing process that should be integrated into your monthly content plan.
- Visibility and Traffic - SEO helps improve your website's visibility in search results, leading to increased organic traffic. Incorporating SEO into your content plan ensures that you're consistently working towards better search rankings.
- Relevance - SEO ensures that your content is relevant to searchers' queries. This relevance not only attracts more users but also enhances the user experience, as they find the information they're looking for.
- Long-Term Growth - SEO is an investment in long-term growth. By consistently optimizing your content, you can enjoy sustained traffic and authority in your niche.
- Competitive Advantage - SEO can give you a significant advantage over competitors. I find that most Empowerpreneurs and content creators are focusing on YouTube or social media and not enough are focusing on blogging. It allows you to outrank competitors and establish your authority in your industry.
2. Monthly SEO Goal Tracking and Reporting
Track progress toward your SEO goals and KPIs.
I started generating monthly reports to review my progress. Instead of just checking my stats sporadically I started checking them weekly and reviewing reports monthly.
I also adjusted my SEO strategy based on the data and insights gathered. This info also impacted my monthly content strategy.
3. Monthly SEO Keyword Research
1. Identify Monthly Themes - Start by identifying the overarching themes or topics you want to focus on each month. These themes should align with your business goals and target audience interests.
I already lay out my monthly themes in the quarterly planner.
If you are looking for monthly themes check out my monthly content marketing ideas blog posts.
2. Keyword Brainstorming - Brainstorm keywords and phrases related to your monthly themes. Consider using tools like Google's Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Ahrefs to generate keyword ideas.
3. Competitor Analysis - Analyze your competitors to identify keywords they are ranking for. This can provide valuable insights into what keywords are relevant in your industry.
4. Keyword Search Volume and Difficulty - Assess the search volume and keyword difficulty for the keywords you've identified. Choose keywords that have a balance between search volume and difficulty, prioritizing those that are relevant to your audience.
5. Long-Tail Keywords - Use long-tail keywords. Longer and more specific phrases. They can be less competitive and highly targeted. You will rank easier for long-tail keywords.
6. Seasonal Keywords - If your business or industry experiences seasonal trends, incorporate seasonal keywords into your monthly content plan.
4. Optimize My Website Monthly
Four things I did this year to optimize my website:
1. Got Rank Math Pro
2. Got strategic when creating new blog posts and pages
3. Optimized older posts and pages
4. Switched to Siteground hosting
5. Technical SEO Audit (will go deeper on another post)
Here are the things I do monthly:
1. On-Page SEO
Ensure that your chosen keywords are strategically placed in your content, including in titles, headings, and throughout the body text. However, avoid keyword stuffing, which can negatively impact user experience and SEO.
I was already doing on-page SEO but I used the grading system provided by Rank Math to ensure that I hit all the key areas for each and every post. I aim to have all posts in the green.
2. Create Quality Content for SEO
Prioritize the creation of high-quality, informative, and engaging content that genuinely addresses the needs and questions of your target audience.
- I started creating longer blog posts to answer questions I get and added more detailed steps.
- Made sure I started interlinking blog posts
- Used keyword research in conjunction with analytics to come up with content ideas. If I was ranking for a keyword that I did not have content for and wanted to rank anyway, I added it to my calendar and created the post.
- Made sure all old posts were user-friendly formatting with clear headings, bullet points, and visuals to improve readability and engagement.
3. Mobile Optimization for SEO
Ensure that your content is optimized for mobile devices, as mobile-friendliness is a significant factor in search rankings.
So after I switched to Thrive Themes a few years ago, I started seeing a decrease in my mobile speed. Thrive Themes (Read my Thrive Themes Review) is great for design and my mobile pages look great but they were registering slower when I did the speed check and Google penalizes websites for this.
I decided to switch to Siteground for hosting and have seen improvement on my mobile speed.
I check my site speed monthly and look for any pages that don't show up well on mobile.
4. Page Load Speed for SEO
Fast-loading pages enhance the user experience and can positively affect search rankings. Optimize images and use efficient coding practices to improve load times.
So after switching to Siteground I seen an overall improvement for site speed on my desktop pages as well as my mobile.
I also optimized the images and removed the extras that WordPress automatically creates.
5. Internal and External Links for SEO
Include relevant internal links to other pages on your website and external links to authoritative sources to provide additional value to your readers.
Like I mentioned I made interlinking a priority on all blog posts and I also went back and added at least one external link to my old blog posts.
I make sure the external link is relevant and adds value to the blog post.
6. Updating and Revising Old Content for SEO
Regularly review and update older blog posts, videos, and podcast episodes to keep them relevant.
- Refresh outdated information and statistics.
- Check for broken links and replace them with relevant resources.
- Optimize old content for new keywords if applicable.
- Link to newer blog posts.
- Add new affiliate links
I started with a content audit to prioritize blog posts, landing pages, and product pages I wanted to optimize first.
I organized the pages by category to make it easier and then did keyword research.
I also deleted or no-index posts that were no longer relevant to my brand objective. If I deleted a post or page I redirected to a more relevant page.
Every month I looked at a new category to update. Over the year I have slowly updated all the posts.
To Do: Add schema to all the old blog posts.
5. Monthly SEO Content Analysis
Analyze the performance of your blog posts, videos, and podcast episodes from the previous month.
- Track key metrics such as traffic, engagement, conversion rates, and rankings.
- Identify content that performed exceptionally well and replicate its success.
- Determine which content needs improvement or further promotion.
This has been key in coming up with new content ideas and setting goals for what keyword I want to rank for.
I have also used this to increase promotion on blog posts that I see gaining traffic on social media.
More SEO Best Practices
These are SEO steps that I have not fully implemented yet. These steps will also increase my ranking and get me closer to #1 on Google.
- Backlink Analysis - Monitor the status of backlinks to your website and identify new link-building opportunities. Also disavow any harmful or spammy backlinks if necessary. I need to create and implement a backlink strategy.
- Competitor Analysis - Review competitors' SEO strategies. Analyze their content, keywords, and backlink profiles and identify areas where you can outperform them.I need to do a complete competitor analysis and use it for keyword research and backlinks strategy.
- User Engagement Metrics - Monitor user engagement metrics like bounce rate, time on page, and click-through rate. These metrics can help you identify content that needs improvement. I need to use these stats to create better content.
- Here are more SEO techniques to get you ranked
Incorporating SEO into your monthly content plan is essential for improving visibility, relevance, and long-term growth.
Conducting keyword research for each month allows you to target the right keywords, while optimizing content for search engines and a positive user experience ensures that your efforts translate into improved rankings and satisfied users.
By consistently following these practices, you can enhance your content's performance and overall online presence.